Bordeaux mixture preparation
The mixture of copper sulphate and lime was known as Bordeaux mixture.
Preparation of 1 per cent Bordeaux mixture
- Dissolve one kilogram of copper sulphate in fifty liters of water in a plastic bucket.
- Dissolve one kilogram of quick lime in fifty liters of water separately in a plastic bucket.
- Pour copper sulphate solution into the lime water slowly with constant stirring using a wooden stick.
(i) The solution should be prepared in earthen or wooden or plastic vessels. Avoid using metal containers for the preparation, as it is corrosive to metallic vessels.
(ii) Always copper sulphate solution should be added to the lime solution, reverse the addition leads to precipitation of copper and resulted suspension is least toxic.
- A natural adhesiveness or tenacity
- Relative cheaper
- Controls a wide variety of diseases
- Safety to handle
- Phytotoxic on certain crops like apple and peaches
- Delay the ripening
- Corroding action on metallic container
- Controlling of Citrus Canker: The canker disease affects nursery, seedling, leaves, twigs, branches and fruits. Affected nursery plants should be sprayed with 1% Bordeaux mixture immediately after visualization of symptoms.
- In old orchards, pruning of affected branches before monsoon and followed by spraying of 1per cent Bordeaux mixture 3 to 5 times at 15 days interval.
For more details
|Dr. P.Raja |
Assistant Professor (Pathology) College of Horticulture & Forestry Central Agricultural University
Phone No.:(M) 09436250901
|e-Arik(e-Agriculture) ICTs for Agricultural Extension |
Village Knowledge Centre Yagrung Village Pasighat, East Siang District
Acknowledgement: This publication is prepared with the support from the Technology Information Facilitation Programme (TIFP), Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Grant No.: DSIR/TIF086/2007; Dated March, 2007.
|< Prev||Next >|